Sunday, August 13, 2006

First sense of Thailand

This is only my 4th day in Thailand and it feels like I been here for months! It is amazing the amount of the experiences one can have in one day.
I will try to shortly share some with you…

We have landed in Bangkok on Wednesday (09/08) at around 20:00 local time. Already on the plane we meet Hadas and Ido. Hadas (22) travels alone to the beaches for 3 weeks before she starts the studies. Ido (24) plans to go north for a short trek and move on to the beaches, also before he starts to study.
We all took a taxi together and asked to be taken to the Israeli connection in Kava Son in Bangkok. According to Hadas, this is a place which can guide us and help to get around and they have a guest house as well, we all agreed and went there. If I would travel alone, the chances I would get to a place like this were very small. First I read about the Kava Son, how it is a big dirty and messy place, second Israeli connection, necessarily means Israelis, which I usually try to avoid. Anyway it was a nice experience.
We got there, rented two rooms. We (Me & Hadas) like real GIRLS, decided to rent a room together, room with a shower and toilet inside, which was relatively expensive. The boys took a simple room with no bedroom in it.
We all went to have a dinner, in this NOT nice neighborhood, which looked like a market with horrible smells, crowded with Tourists. And for the perfect end I & Ido had a one hour foot massage, imagine, getting a foot massage at 01:00 AM after almost 24 hours of traveling, this was great!!! We continued to the guest house, feeling fresh and really happy, opened a bottle of Jack Daniels which me & Maxim bought in the Duty free and set there to drink a glass for happy vacation. It was really nice, we got drunk, talked, even played pool. In some point Hadas, Ido and Maxim retired, and I stayed in the Lobi, this time having conversation with Yakov and Golan, who just got in from some party they been. Eventually when the sun was already up, I went to sleep (I think it was around 06:30 or so).

We walk up the next morning Thursday (10/08), Hadas was already gone, she had a morning flight to the beaches and me, Ido and Maxim went to the Israeli connection bought a night ticket to Chang Mai. We had several hours to spend in Bangkok, Ido and Maxim decided to stay around, meet and talk to travelers, while I went for a walk around.
To shortly sum the day in Bangkok I would say, it’s hectic, smelly, and too western, I am really glad we are moving north.
Very clean street in Bangkok
More Thai dancing

We arrived in Chang Mai on Friday (11/08), at 06:30 am. Already in the bus I and Maxim decided that we will go for a NON Israeli guest house to have a different kind of experience, hear different stories.
We were dropped in Chang Mai Inn, a guest house full with people from Europe. Ido went for a three day trek, and we rented a room, took a shower, rented a motorbike and just went to roam around the city.
Chang Mai is nice, but again a CITY, with all what accompanied with this. There are several nice temples to see around, and most important nice nature treks to do around.
In the evening we went to Beit Habat. This was a really great experience, a lot of Jewish come to owner the Shabat, most are no religious, and they just come to be together, have Friday evening dinner like at home. Unfortunately for me in Beit Habad was the first time I actually attended in a real Shabat ceremony, and it was really great. We didn’t stay for the dinner, but we left the place very emotionally high. From there we continued to have a beer, in a very authentic place. There is a story behind how we got there, but I shouldn’t write it :-). After the beer we went back to the guest house and meet Alice and Graham from England and Wilfried from Germany, we stayed down talking over a beer and whisky (again I know :-)). It was a really very nice evening.
Chang Mai Inn
First night in Chang Mai, having a beer in a strange place
Today we finally had a good night sleep, walk up quiet late. We went outside of the city with the bike, to a mountain next to Chang Mai, Doi Suthep Mountain to see a temple.
Finally, NATURE!!!! And a breath taking one! Today was the first time I went WOW!
Really, it is so beautiful!
We came back from a beautiful day out, went down to the lobby, initially planned to go out, but it is 01:37 am now and we still in the Lobby communicating with other Tourist, having drinks (again). I mean Maxim does, and I am sitting on the computer. Some of the tourist went to sleep, then others come, Maxim is really drunk already I can see and hear him from where I sit and it is so funny.

Okay, that’s it, I will join them now.....
Doi Suthep mountain
Doi Suthep mountain

BE WELL!

1 comment:

as said...

good stuff O! glad to see you're enjoying it. chiang rai is still happening?