Friday, October 13, 2006

Coincidence ?!?

11/10/06 Wednesday - My second day in Bangkok.
I decided to escape the hectic streets and go to the International Buddhism Meditation center in Bangkok. Study meditation was one of my primary interests in Thailand, but since I have arrived there was no room for spiritual life, I mean with all the parties and fun :-). Back in Chang Mai in the begging of the trip I visited several temples and there were several options to get to a course, but it was never the right time.
Now that I am in Bangkok and have some time maybe this is a good time, I thought.
I was welcomed by an old monk, we had an interesting conversation. I explained that I am interesting to learn mediation in order be able to control my mind to a certain extent. Better handle mood swings, stress situations, and most importantly be able to just switch off, give my mind a rest like when I sleep. I also told him (very gently) that I have no interest in religion, I am a Jew, I said, and if I decide to adopt any god in some point of my life and follow the tradition it will be Judaism. He said that I do not have to take part in any religious rituals, prayers, etc'. Of course I completely understand that eventually one things leads to another, but I believe that part of every learning process is to be smart and filter the information you get.
Anyway, the monk offered me to try right away, and decide in the end of the session if I want to join the course, and for how long.
He showed me how to walk & sit and on what should I focus on, without getting into any philosophy behind (maybe because of his English, maybe from some other reason, he answered my questions really brief and not in details).
I was walking and sitting, walking and sitting... for 7 hours (1/2 hour break). It was NOT easy, and the hardest is to concentrate. I suppose to completely ignore the surroundings, noises, etc', but I couldn't, I stayed very well aware during the all time. Now I understand why everywhere they suggest as long course as possible, it is a hard job to be able to concentrate, much harder than I imagined!
I finished my lesson, and now I had to decide... I was sitting, reading the strict rules of the temple, it is a hard decision! Outside of the temple there is a world full of pleasures, am I ready to leave everything? Am I strong enough? Me, the ultimate hedonist.
As I was thinking, a western monk got into the meditation hall, looking very familiar, I have approached him and asked, are you Udi, from Givat Brener? Yes! He was very surprised, and I was speechless! What an unbelievable coincidence!!!
Givat Brener is a name of a place I lived in Israel. One of the nights before I left to Thailand, Me, Leika and Eran (my neighbor) were sitting out and talking about my travelling plans. I mentioned that I want to try meditation, Eran said - "Search for Udi, he is originally from Givat Brener as well, he is now in Thailand for many years, monk in some Temple in north, you will easily recognize him, he is very tall with blue eyes." The three of us had a good laugh (find a monk in a country with infinite ammount of temples and monks) ...
Udi told me that he just arrived in Bangkok today, he is living and teaching up North in some very isolated place, and arrived in Bangkok to take care of his passport.
Well, how would you call this?
We had a long conversation, it turns out that Udi has his own meditation center in North(not a temple) and he kindly invited me to attend a course at his place. He gave me his contact information and we agreed to be in touch when I get back to Thailand.

So as you understand I have not joined the course in Bangkok, I decided that if I will do the course I should do it with Udi, or maybe it is just an excuse again... Anyway for now I did my first 7 hours on the way to the light :-)...

Be well!

No comments: