Saturday, October 21, 2006

Halong Bay

"Magnificent Halong Bay is undoubtedly the natural wonder of Vietnam. Picture 3000 or more incredible islands rising from the emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin and you have a vision of greatness." - Lonely planet

After all the amazing beaches I saw in Thailand I was sure it just cannot get any better. Well, I was wrong, Halog Bay is breath taking!!!
I spent two days on a boat surrounded by Islands with a great group of people.
No words can describe the stars and the moon you see lying on a deck, or the amazing sunrise (I woke up before 05:00 am, to see the sunrise)!
We reached Cat- Ba island on the second day, did great kayaking tour around and stayed the night in Cat-Ba. In the evening, Luat (our guide) took us to have Bia-Hoi, local draft beer in a local street drinking stand. It was really nice!
I had long conversations with Luat during the days, and we had so much in common. He new Russian songs (Vietnam was really close to USSR in past) , knew a lot about Russian culture, history, and of course the communist party. He shared with me very interesting insights on Vietnam, which were really great addition to the book I am reading a view of modern Vietnam. The history of this country is fascinating!!!

This was the best introduction to Vietnam I could ask for, beautiful landscape, friendly people, interesting and very different life! I cannot wait to explorer more...

Now I am back in Hanoi and for the next couple of days will stay around to enjoy this hectic and very busy capital, then to the mountains, Sapa.

Be well!
Pictures as always here http://www.flickr.com/photos/oksana-s/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi!!!
haven't heard from u for a few...
well some period :)
glad that u sorrounded by a nice peaple but if u damage your ear i will cut the other one so help me god ...that if u eventually come home some day offcourse
miss u
say hi to hoi shi min
or whatever his name spelld like
miss u
slaik